archive-fr.com » FR » A » AVIGNON.FR

Total: 907

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    of the vice legation in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries had irrevocably disappeared The real beginning of the museum can be attributed to Ange Chambon s donation to the city of Avignon of 450 litographs drawings and paintings This was added to a collection of casts from the Musée Médiéval de la Région du Midi The purpose of this project dating from 1911 12 was to create a museum of comparative sculpture It was to be comparate to the Trocadéro in Paris but dedicated only to objects from southern France The third main element of the museum derives from archeological digs and the countless restorations effected in the building itself a process that continues These remain the primary components of the museum They have been on view in the private apartments since the reorganization of 1989 Visit begin in the Grande Trésorerie accessed by the Cour d Honneur These rooms used to be occupied by the financial administrators of the Apostolic Chambers Today they indroduce the Avignon popes and present a collection of fourteenth centuries tiles The tiles are decorated with an extraordinary variety of motifs plans animals heraldy geometry These tiles of the green and brown style covered a large portion of the floors of the palace as well as cardinal s and count s palace floors Appreciation for this local style produced in Saint Quentin la Poterie in Uzès region led to its being used for tableware such as pitchers jugs and cups In the lower part of the same hall are display cases containing objects discovered in archeological digs notably those of the vaults of the nearby Trésor Bas These vaults which were used in the fourteenth century to store precious objects titles and certificates have delivered up lead bulls seals fragments of stained glass and even

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/vielaven.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    door is surmounted with impressive interwieving branches surrounding a helmet topped escutcheon that is itself supported by two figures This ensemble creates an interesting contrast with the building s general austerity Remodeled according to classical tastes the Gothic residence was later given the characteristics of a seventeenth or eighteenth century hôtel particulier Visitors are received at the end of a vaulted passage dating from the first construction and decorated in the nineteenth century with the Baroncelli arms Along the way one notes the elegance of the surrounding classical facades embellished with oleander growing in Anduze pottery pots From Hôtel to Palace In the nineteenth century Frédéric Mistral dubbed what was then known as the Hôtel Baroncelli Javon as the Palais du Roure roure a dedicated member of the félibrige a movement to renew Provençal culture which met there In 1908 the family sold the hôtel After having suffered considerable damage it was finally saved in 1918 by the Valence native Jeanne de Flandreysy An energetic and determined woman the collaborator of Jules Charles Roux and a great admirer and friend of Mistral she decided to consecrate herself body and soul to this life s work the restoration of the Palais du Roure to its former prestige Once the restoration work was complete she undertook the creation of a center of Mediterranean culture In 1936 she married the eminent archeologist and member of the Institut National de France Commander Espérandieu Soon the creation of the Fondation Flandreysy Espérandieu added a new dimension to the institution It was bestowed to the city of Avignon in 1944 One wing of the building contains libraries and archives concerning Provence the Langue d Oc region anthropology history archeology iconography and Italian literature of the Middle Ages Musée d Atmosphère the Palais du Roure presents a

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/roureen.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    to occupy the large building embellished with two lovely facades one on Rue de la Croix and the other facing the court of the Mont de Piété Rue Saluces Boudroy architect 1877 Museum collections The first space you enter containing the objects relating to the functioning of the Mont de Piété and the Condition des soies is the former chapel of the Congregation of Notre Dame de Lorette where the brotherhood periodically met to discuss concerns of the institution Almost certainly the work of the architect Jean Baptiste Franque it used to be decorated with tableaux Mignard Parrocel that are currently displayed on the large staircase not accessible to the public The facade of the Condition des soies 1877 as well as the tracks and carts used for silk delivery can be seen from the chapel Neglected after the Revolution the chapel was converted into a reception area for deposits and redemptions in the nineteenth century A large transom with four apertures permitted access to these sectors as well as to the appréciateur who was in charge of evaluating objects that were left as surety against loans The documents and objects relating to the Mont de Piété retrace the history of this venerable institution The composition of the institution is revealed through the catalogues of its broterhood an then starting in the second half of the nineteenth century of its administrators The earliest example is adorned with a small painting of the Annunciation on wood This is a preferred theme discernible throughout the establishment The documents reveals the names of Avignonnais aristocracy and bourgeoisie that are traditionally found in this sort of institution Notables representative of these social groups are also found on numerous donatifs painted canvases or marble plaques executed in honor of their generosity Sometimes names of the

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/pieteen.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    salted meats He headed a company he created in Avignon after the First World War whose influence extended beyond the bounds of the region and even the nation In 1927 at the age of fourty four he became the owner of Villeneuve Esclapon This charming location became his home until his death in 1973 He left it to the Fondation de France stipulating the creation of the Fondation Louis Vouland whose principal function was to be to adapt the hôtel into a museum for the conservation and development of collections Primarily comprised of the decorative arts of the seventeenth and especially the eighteenth century when they reached their apogee furniture objects and art works have gradually been acquired from antique dealers auctions and estates sales in Nice Marseille and Paris Experts have directed purchases for more than forty years On the model of the Museums Nissim de Camondo and Jacquemart André in Paris the Ephrussi House in Saint Jean Cap Ferrat and the Museum Grobet Labadié in Marseille the hôtel de Villeneuve Esclapon presents its collections in situ The Musée Louis Vouland opened on January 15 1982 Ceramics and furniture share the place of honor within the residence Nearly 200 pièces on permanent exhibition trace the diversity and evolution of European ceramics its connections with the Far East the relations among different French ceramic centers such as Nevers Rouen Strasbourg and Lyon and more specially the work shops techniques and styles of the southern ceramic centers in Marseille Moustiers and Montpellier Porcelains from Saxe Vincennes and Sèvres add their particular refinement and elegance The collector s taste from authenticity as he himself put it is easily seen in the choice of elegant Regency Louis XV Louis XVI furnishings commodes console tables corner pieces desks accessory furnishings gilded and painted and

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/voulanden.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    its original decoration in the second floor rooms Major work was initially done under the architect Jean Péru in 1694 The recent restoration has sought to maintain the warmth of the living space while at the same time giving the most significant works a modern and sober presentation Collection of chefs d uvre The only piece in the south of France to present a work of Van Gogh from Arles Period Wagons de chemin de fer this museum offers the visitor a journey through he history of painting from the end of the nineteenth century until the beginning of the twentieth century the Barbizon School Diaz s Paysage Impressionism Sisley s Neige à Louveciennes Pointillism an impressive Vuillard portrait important works by Daumier Sancho Panza Degas Danseuses repasseuse Carrière Enfant au bonnet and Cézanne Nature morte au pot de grès The nineteen twenties are represented by Modigliani s La Blouse rose two portraits on gold leaf by Fujita tableaux by Derain and Forain and several works of Picasso including Arlequin and Fenêtre ouverte sur la mer Three African masks bear witness to the influence of aboriginal arts at the time A documentation center reveals the harmonious and surprising life of Jacques Doucet who strove to assemble a collection of the works of his time before his death His purchases including Picasso s Les Demoiselles d Avignon and tableaux by Douanier Rousseau Matisse Picabia and others are now on view in large museums in France and internationally In addition to primary works are frames by great Art Deco masters such as Pierre Legrain An amateur d art interior On the second floor the salons and furniture have been restored dans l esprit d une maison d amateurs d art according to the wishes of Jean and Paulette Angladon Dubrujeaud Next to

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/angladonen.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    1974 The front entryway decorated with military enblems is attributed to Pierre Mignard The court and garden facades have been classified as historical monuments Inside the building there is a wrought iron staircase and some of the rooms still woodword The city reconverted the Hôtel de Crochans to accommodate the Maison Jean Vilar on the courtyard and the administration of the Festival d Avigon on the garden La Maison Jean Vilar In 1979 the City of Avignon the Association pour une Fondation Jean Vilar and the department of Arts et Spectacle of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France united to establish the Maison Jean Vilar It serves as a depository of the uvre of the Festival d Avignon s creator his influence on contemporary theater the summer programs of 1947 71 and of his Théâtre National Populaire from 1951 63 In addition the Maison Jean Vilar extends the context of its commintment ot the performing arts with a public video library and a documentation center There are regular exhibitions events and encounters in connection with performances and other local cultural offerings The collections derive from Jean Vilar and relate to the entire life and career of this man of the theater These include personal archives as well as items relating to the performance he created at the Festival d Avignon and with the TNP scripts from the repertoire press clippings photographs posters programs sound recordings as well as some 2 000 costumes and designs for costumes by the painters who worked with Jean Vilar notably Léon Gischia Mario Prassinos and Edouard Pignon The collection also includes about hundred reviews a thousand video titles and more than 20 000 works performance texts and studies on the theater the opera dance the music hall variety showx film as well as all documents pertaining

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/vilaren.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    it and Jean Baptiste Franque followed by is son François continued working on it until 1751 At the beginning of the French Revolution the estate was seized and became national property All of the furniture was sold Already in 1811 plans were in effect to transfer the prefecture to this hôtel the most elegant in Avignon But the department of the Vaucluse did not acquire it until 1878 for 130 000 francs The next year a pedagogical institute was established there succeeded by the Gendarmerie in 1899 when the Boulevard was created destroying any memory of the large gardens Hardly anything remains of the interior disposition of the building which suffered its last assault in the 1970s when the Hôtel de Caumont adjoining the Hôtel de Montfaucon was turned into a liberal arts university Its maintened this function until 1998 It was during this period that the two facades one with a projecting avant corps topped with a rounded pediment the roofing concealed by a long balustrade and the shaded interior court were classed as historical monuments In 1999 the Country Council presented the keys to the City of Avignon for the purpose of transforming it into a museum of contemporary art The Lambert Collection The Lambert Collection was inaugurated in July 2000 It is the latest in this city whose stellars museum history has been constituted thanks to private collectors and benefactors such as Campana for the Petit Palais and Puech for the Musée Calvet Yvon Lambert s collection of contemporary art is unique in France It twenty five years it was only been exhibited in Villeneuve d Ascq 1992 and Yokohama 1998 From the start and in parallel with the activity of his gallery Yvon Lambert assembled a collection that attests to his commitment and reputation in the

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/musees/lamberten.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Bienvenue à la mairie d'Avignon
    of the most important theatre events in the world commanding the attention of the public the professionals and the media Performances are given in more than 20 venues throughout the city and beyond and hundreds of other unofficial shows are also put on by Avignon Public Off The Festival has provided fertile ground for the permanent companies in Avignon and for the Academy of Dramatic Art The Maison Jean Vilar

    Original URL path: http://www.avignon.fr/en/tourisme/theatreen.php (2015-11-09)
    Open archived version from archive



  •